We care. We inform. We listen.
Sexual Assault Statistics
All people are potential victims, regardless of gender, age, race, religion, sexual orientation, education or physical description.
- One of every 17 Canadian women is raped at some point in her life
- A woman is sexually assaulted by forced intercourse every 17 minutes in Canada
- Girls and young women between the ages of 15-24 are the most likely victims
- 80% of assaults happen in the victim’s home
- 70% of rapes are committed by a perpetrator who knows the victims (relative, friend, neighbour, colleague, or other acquaintance)
- Approximately one half of all rapes occur on dates
- 62% of victims are physically injured in the attack; 9% are beaten severely or disfigured
- Statistics Canada has found that one in four girls and one in eight boys have been sexually abused by the time they are eighteen.
Source: Justice Institute of British Columbia