You have resources.
Below is a summary of resources for crisis intervention recommended by the British Columbia Victim Assistance Program:
Government and Community Resources
- local police departments
- sexual assault centres
- victim assistance programs
- Ministry of Health
- emergency departments at local hospitals
- sympathetic doctors
- local Ministry of Social Services offices for emergency financial aid
- crisis centres and crisis lines
- women’s centres
- transition houses, emergency shelters, and safe houses
- aboriginal counselling and referral centres
- multicultural and immigrant-serving agencies
- advocacy and service organizations for the physically and mentally disabled
This is a toll-free 24-hour helpline available anywhere in British Columbia for victims of family and sexual violence. It gives information and referrals on the local community resources available in the victim’s area. It is also a useful resource for victim service workers who need resource information.
VictimLINK can provide assistance in 110 languages.
Criminal Injury Compensation and Professional Counselling
604-660-3888 in Greater Vancouver
1-866-660-3888 toll free for elsewhere in BC
If a victim of any crime has been physically hurt, had to miss work or pay for treatment not covered by insurance or a medical plan, she/he may be able to receive money to cover some costs.
In addition, some or all professional counselling fees (if applicable) may be also be covered. Application protocol:
- Register and apply for benefits under the Crime Victim Assistance Act by calling 604-660-3888 in Greater Vancouver or elsewhere in BC toll free 1-866-660-3888.
- Crime Victim Assistance Program will assign a claims coordinator who will collect necessary information, such as reports from medical practitioners and police, to determine eligibility.
- Once approved, CVAP will confirm funding with the therapist (if a name has been given by the client) and then the therapist can bill CVAP directly.
The above list of referral agencies is intended solely for your convenience. No implied warranty is made concerning the quality of services offered by them and you should therefore make your own determination for the suitability of any such agency and the services offered by them.